Cleaning flower vases
To clean the inside of a flower vase, particularly one of a difficult shape, fill it with hot soapy water, add a teaspoon of dry rice and shake vigorously.
Clean vase or cruet with Alka Seltzer
To remove stains from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets.
By Francesca Fenn of www.stepoutsideguides.com
One top tip of my own, for lily pollen stain; if you brush past a lily and the stain is fresh, using the vacuum cleaner, without any brush or fixture on the pipe, and holding it so that the pipe doesn't actually touch the pollen, can take it right off clothing without any other action needed.
- Place the flowers into a large paper bag
- Pour in a cup of salt
- Shake the bag vigorously for a bit
- See them spring back to life before your very eyes
Clean your plant leaves with mayonnaise
To clean your plant leaves, use a little bit of mayonnaise on a paper towel.
You will now have glossy and shiny leaves which will last for weeks.
- Fill your decanter half way with warm soapy water.
- Cup you hand over the top of your decanter and gently shake it.
- Then rinse well.
- If your decanter is still stained make a mixture of rock salt and vinegar and swish this round your decanter.
- The salt will gently scour the surface whilst the vinegar helps remove the stains particularly lime deposits.
- Again rinse well